Do you spend most of your day sitting at a desk or working on a computer? If so, you’re not alone. Many people work in office jobs that require long periods of sitting and repetitive motions, which can lead to a range of injuries and pains.
That’s where ergonomics comes in. Ergonomics is the science of designing and arranging workplaces and equipment to fit the individual needs of workers. Proper ergonomics can help to prevent workplace injuries and pains by reducing the strain on the body and promoting proper posture.
Here are some tips for improving ergonomics in the workplace:
- Adjust Your Chair: Make sure your chair is at the right height so that your feet are flat on the floor and your knees are at a 90-degree angle. The backrest should support the natural curve of your spine. This is obviously just an ideal, and a recommendation, in reality we’d like to see a variety of sitting postures which encourage your body to explore variety throughout the day.
- Position Your Keyboard and Mouse: Position your keyboard and mouse so that your elbows are at a 90-degree angle and your wrists are straight. Make sure the screen is in front of you and you aren’t having to rotate constantly just to look at your monitor. Also make sure it is the right height, this is simply a height which means you aren’t looking down or up.
- Take Breaks: Take frequent breaks to stretch and move around. Sitting for long periods of time can put a lot of strain on your body, so it’s important to take breaks and move around to prevent pain and injury.
- Use a Standing Desk: Consider using a standing desk or a sit-stand desk to switch between sitting and standing throughout the day.
- Use Proper Lighting: Make sure your workspace is well-lit to reduce eye strain and prevent headaches.
At Move4 Physio Northampton, we believe that proper ergonomics is essential for preventing workplace injuries and pains. Our experienced physiotherapists can work with you to assess your workplace and develop a personalized plan to improve your ergonomics and reduce your risk of injury. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Contact Move4 Physio Northampton to schedule a consultation and start improving your ergonomics today.